Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Guacamole

So carrying on with the healthy theme, I've decided to make my own healthy snacks. While I was looking for ideas, I found out that avocados are really good for you; they help lower cholesterol, they're a great source of vitamin E and full of antioxidants, and they contain monounsaturated fats (the healthy fat).

So with all this in mind, I bought myself a couple of avocados, and I've been adding it a few of my dishes. I mostly add it to my salads, but I've also added it to stir fry in the past.
I'm embarrassed to admit it took me about a week or so of eating these dishes to remember that avocados are the main ingredient in guacamole. Why is it embarrassing? Well guacamole is one of favourite dips, along with houmous (obviously), so realising I could make some guacamole was one of those 'slap to the head' moments.

I'm an idiot sometimes... actually, make that most of the time.
Ingredients:
1 Avocado
1/2 Onion
1 Beef Tomato
1/4 Chilli
1/4 Yellow Bell Pepper
2tsp Lime Juice
Pinch of Salt

Method:
To prepare the avocado, cut the avocado length-ways around the seed. Twist the two halves in opposite directions, and pull the halves apart. Remove the seed from the other half. Peel the avocado skin off by hand (research has found that the highest concentration of antioxidants is found in the flesh right next to the peel i.e the dark green part).
Slice the avocado into small pieces and place in a bowl, and mash until you form a pulp.
Finely chop up the onion, chilli, tomato and pepper, and add to the avocado. Mix together.
Add the lime juice and salt to suit your taste.
Serve with celery, cucumber, or, if you're not on a diet, some tortilla chips.

2 comments:

  1. I love healthy snacks because it gives me an excuse to eat sweets to balance everything out :)
    Plus, I absolutely love avocados and the tomatoes in this look so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a pleasant surprise when you find out something so yummy is also good for you? This looks like a tastey and wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete